The Town of Monroe, through the Senior Center, provides transportation to residents who are age 60 and over and/or disabled. Transportation options include fixed routes and a Dial-a-Ride program. The fixed route schedule is published in the Senior Center Newsletter and the Monroe Courier.
1. Our service is curb to curb. Drivers can escort, as necessary, but not assist our riders. If a rider requires physical help getting to, in & out of the vehicle and reaching their appointment site they will need a companion to assist.
2. When the driver picks you up at your home, please be prompt. Delays cause setbacks with other appointments.
3. You may, and probably will, have to wait to be picked up from your appointment. We service many individuals throughout the day and all are extremely important to us.
4. At times we may ask you to arrive at your appointment earlier than scheduled due to the driver’s itinerary for the day.
5. If we are unable to accommodate your appointment, we may ask you to re-schedule for another day/time that is available.
6. No unscheduled stops are permitted, with the exception of a stop at the pharmacy or lab for testing, if time allows, after a scheduled physician’s appointment.
7. Please bear in mind on shopping days only 4 bags are allowed.
Scheduling - Monday through Friday
1. The telephone number for transportation scheduling is (203) 452-2815, extension 2.
2. Appointments should be made at least 48 hours in advance.
3. You may schedule appointments 6 months in advance.
4. We service appointments in Monroe, Trumbull, Bridgeport and Stratford.
5. Out of town appointments (Trumbull, Bridgeport and Stratford) must be between the hours of 10:00 am and 2:00 pm.
6. In town appointments (Monroe) must be between the hours of 9:30 am and 2:30 pm.
7. All appointments must conclude by 3:30 pm.
8. Only one appointment may be scheduled per day.
9. It is the responsibility of the rider to notify the Center of "standing” appointments on a regular basis. For example, if you have a hair appointment every Wednesday at 1:00 pm, you must call the Center either weekly or monthly to secure that time slot.
10. It is the responsibility of the rider to notify the Center of an appointment, please do not ask the driver to relay a transportation request back to the Center.
11. It is the responsibility of the resident to schedule their appointments, please do not ask the staff to call a physician’s office/beauty salon on your behalf.An exception to this rule: the Coordinator will assist with the scheduling of on-going therapy appointments.
12. Local shopping takes place on Friday (unless a holiday falls on a Friday) and must be scheduled either weekly or monthly.
13. The Transportation Coordinator will call you a day or two before your scheduled appointment with an approximate pick-up time.
1. Dial-a-Ride trips within Monroe are $2.00. Trips to Trumbull, Bridgeport and Stratford are $4.00. The fees are the same for one-way or round trip.
2. Fixed route trips for shopping are $4.00 and scenic/special trips on Senior Center Bus are $5.00. Prices are subject to change and are published in the newsletter.
3. Transportation on certain days/vehicles are supported by Grant funding and fees are waived and donations are accepted.
4. All transportation rides will be invoiced and mailed once a month.
5. The Town of Monroe prohibits employees from accepting gratuities and tips.
Monroe Senior Center
235 Cutlers Farm Road
Monroe, CT 06468
Director of Community & Social Services
Elderly Services Coordinator
Hours: Tues, Wed, & Fri: 9am - 4pm
Phone: (203) 452-2815
Fax: (203) 452-2965
Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
The Center is open for special events on weekends, holidays, and during the evenings. (Check newsletter for details)